Crosswalk speed? Um..huh?
Well, this morning I wrote my Physiotherapy Unit 2 midterm. It actually didn't go so badly. Considering the amount of time I spent reading knitting blogs last night. *sheepish grin" (no pun intended)
My academic programme is an interesting one. It is what they call "Problem-Based," which means, in essence, we teach ourselves how to be physiotherapists. We don't have professors, we don't really have lectures. We have tutorials. Facilitated by a tutor, yes, but they're just there to make sure we don't start throwing stuff. We are given paper problems, about one a week, and we work in small groups to first of all decide what we want to learn about the issue, second to research it, and third to discuss it as a group.
It's a wonderful system, it's making me a better person, blah blah blah. The problem arises when they need to actually give us tests. We have a few guidelines to keep us on track, but essentially, we could be totally learning the wrong thing.
Generally, they get around this by posing questions like:
Joe, a 55 year old construction worker, presents with acute low back pain that began 3 days ago. Etc etc. Explain 3 main topics you would cover in educating Joe about his condition
The exam today was mostly like that. Except for a very strange multiple choice section, with some very odd questions indeed. Here's one example:
For what average walking speed are most crosswalk signals timed?
a) 1 m/s
b) 1.2 m/s
c) 1.4 m/s
d) 1.6 m/s
Now, theoretically, we could have come across this in our research, say, in exploring rationale for discharge criteria from the hospital post-total hip replacement. Theoretically. I, however, was flabbergasted. Thank goodness I'm not the type to sweat the small stuff. ;) Is this seriously a piece of information I need to have at my fingertips as a future physiotherapist? If you, dear readers, have the answer to the above question, congratulations. I'll offer you a job at my clinic once I graduate.
I suppose I could mention some knitting content. Dani is coming over tonight for "Apprentice and KnittingTM" night. Formerly "Apprentice and Sock KnittingTM" night, but Dani finished her beautiful socks. Do check them out, they're worth a look! She's going to bring over her digital camera so I can take some pictures to post up here.
I think I'll try to finish off my ladder (Eros?) yarn scarf. It's been way too long since I started it, and it will soon be spring. Time to stop wearing scarves for warmth, and start wearing them purely for flair! I also wouldn't mind picking up the stitches for the zipper band on my Ribby Cardi, but that might require just a tad too much concentration.
Enjoy the show tonight, and wherever you are, measure how fast you're walking across crosswalks! You never know when it will be important to know...
2 Comments:
You have GOT to be kidding me....
What about people in wheel chairs? Could they get a speeding ticket?HeHeHe!
Post a Comment
<< Home