Thursday, September 02, 2004

All good things must come to an end

The day has come for me to wrap up this adventure of mine, and I'm doing my very best not to be depressed about it. I am SO looking forward to seeing Peter, my friends, talking to my family on the phone, and sleeping in my own little bed. But I just don't want all this to end!

I made it to the Boathouse last night just in time for supper, an amazing meal of goulash and dumplings. They can seriously cook here. Then I just hung out in the dining room until about 1:30 in the morning, playing cards, having some drinks, and watching terrible European pop videos on the television. Issues in Quebec came up in conversation and it appears that some people out there in the world have some very strange ideas about Quebec. I overheard an Irish guy telling one of the British girls that if you speak English in Quebec you get arrested! Don't worry, I set him straight on that one.

This morning I'm taking it easy. I'll have my gourmet breakfast in a minute, and then have a nice long shower, finish packing up my stuff, and head off to the airport.

As I said yesterday, I've most definitely spent the last few days on my trip reflecting on the whole thing, and trying to pin down how exactly my oh-too-short experience has changed my outlook.

I've been keeping a scribbled list in the back of a book of the nationalities of people I've met.

On this trip, I've met people from:

Holland
Australia
Canada
United States
Pakistan
New Zealand
Germany
Italy
Bolivia
Czech Republic
Poland
Slovakia
England
Ireland
Spain
Portugal
France
Switzerland
Denmark
Singapore
Hungary
Latvia
Slovenia
Finland
Wales
Scotland
Tasmania

And probably more that I'm forgetting. That's 27 nationalities in one month! That's got to change a person.

So, here's another list for you. The list of ways I'm going to live my live differently:
-If ever I see a person on the street looking lost, especially if they have a map or a guidebook out, I will ask them if they need help. I will go with them to their detination if need be. Local people have saved my life on this trip, and I'll never forget them

-I'll talk to strangers as much as possible. I'm sorry mom and dad and Mrs. Lemieux (my kindergarten teacher). That is one lesson I just won't follow. Some of the best people I've met on this trip were sitting beside me on a park bench or sitting at the next table in a cafe. Just THINK of all the cool people I've missed out on meeting in my daily life at home!

-Keep a scrapbook. I have had SO much fun keeping a scrapbook on my trip, and I can't wait to share it with my friends. I think my scrapbook will capture my memories of this trip much more than a photo album, or even this blog will. Travel tip: do NOT leave home without a scrapbook, glue, and crayons. Also, I think I might try to continue posting on a blog, even if no one ever reads it. It's definitely helped me sort out my thoughts and plans.

-I swear to GOD I will never again whine "I have nothing to wear." When you have 3 tshirts that you've worn 5 times each without washing them, you STILL have something to wear. And there's always that item of clothing crammed at the bottom of your backpack that you forgot about and haven't worn in a whole week. When I get home, I'm going to walk into my giant closet, sit down on the floor, and have a "moment." And then I'm going to BURN all the clothes I've had with me on this trip. :)

-I'll be nice to street musicians. I've met a few young street musicians who are backpackers trying to finance their travels. And generally, they are extremely deserving, and won't busk any longer than they need to buy food and lodging for the day. And when they play for fun, they'll be completely offended if anyone walks by and tries to offer them money. And whooo-eee! No one has better stories than people who work in the street every day.

-I'll try to live more like a traveller in my home country. First of all, I have SO much travelling I need to do in Canada. It's an absolute tragedy to live in such a beautiful and diverse country and not experience it to the maxiumum. Also, even just in my home city of Toronto I'll try to live more like a traveller. Instead of just going to the same old bars and restaurants, I'll ask for recommendations, read websites. And I think I'll pick up the Toronto Lonely Planet. There is one.

-Be less annoyed when people are smoking around me. EVERYONE in Eastern Europe smokes. And they smoke EVERYWHERE. We are lucky in Canada to have to much smoke-free air.

-Make pasta sauce from scratch. Thanks to my Italian friends in Kracow, I now have the perfect recipe.

-Eat better breakfasts. With meat and cheese, like they do here. Eat huge lunches. The biggest meal of the day. And have something small for supper. Great way to eat.

-I will RELISH in havign a bathroom and a kitchen ALL to myself. I realized things were getting dire when I went to a movie theatre and found myself ENJOYING the nice bathrooms there. Public bathrooms suck. So do "public" kitchens where you have no idea who washed the dishes you're using, but you don't see any dishsoap anywhere.

-Walking. I will most definitely walk more. I have realized that walking for 30 minutes or an hour instead of the subways isn't a waste of time, it's a nice walk. One that will give me killer legs!

-Send postcards. Even from home. It's fun, it's fast, and I think people like getting them. At least I hope they do.

-Eat more ice cream. I've eaten ice cream at least once a day nearly every day of this trip. And I think it's made me a better person!

I'm getting a little teary now..my last post is coming to an end. I want to thank everyone who's been reading along with me as I travel. Travelling alone can be hard sometimes, and it's been reassuring that people would probably notice if I got kidnapped and stopped posting. Experiences also become way more fun with the sharing I think. Special thanks to those who have been commenting or sending me emails. You have no idea how much I've cherished your words.

I KNOW there are people reading who haven't posted comments...can I ask you a favour? Can you just drop a note at the end of this post, say you've been reading? I have a webcounter, I know I'm getting lots of hits, I'd love to know who you are!

It's very easy. Just click on the link at the bottom of this post that says "# comments," then click "post a comment." You don't need to start an account or anything. Just click "post anonymously." But don't forget to write your name.

Thanks again folks. Hopefully I'll see/talk to you in the next few days. *hugs and kisses* to all.

The whole object of travel is not to set foot on foreign land; it is at last to set foot on one's own country as a foreign land. ~G.K. Chesterton

9 Comments:

Blogger Dani said...

Hey Lady,

Well you know that I have been reading your blog religiously. It is so amazing that you have had such a life changing experience on your travels. While *I* can't say that I am sad that you are coming home, I am here for you when you get home and all you want to do is go back. I want to hear every little detail about the trip, even if it means that I hear about it every day for a year. And maybe you can teach me how to talk to strangers. I have missed you more then you can imagine while you have been gone, but at the same time I am so happy to see that the trip has been more then you have hoped for. It is something I am sure you will never forget!

You had better be ready for one huge hug girl, cause in a few short hours you will be attacked as you get off that plane! :)

D

5:40 AM, September 02, 2004  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LAURA! I've enjoyed reading your blog SO much! Thank you so much for sharing your amazing trip. I will miss reading your travel adventures... And hey, I have been thinking of buying a Toronto guide as well! Living here for two years, and I barely know this city! Maybe our paths will cross as we both explore the city. Looking forward to seeing you ott and aboot!
Oh, and thanks for defending the Quebec honour. It's silly sometimes the ideas people have of other countries.
Hugs, and have a safe flight!
Mel

8:13 AM, September 02, 2004  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Laura
I've been reading your blog regularly and following your adventures with much happiness for you, envy for me, and a real admiration for your writing skills! Your enthusiasm and outlook are inspiring. I hope you print out your full blog and add it to your scrapbook. And keep writing!
See you soon,
Ann

10:47 AM, September 02, 2004  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We jsut returned from 2 weeks in Norway, and I whole-heartedly agree with your list of "resolutions" (is ice cream a european addiciton or something? I ate more of it in two weeks than I do in 6 months at home); travel does open your eyes to how other people live and the exciting things there are to see, not only across the ocean, but in our own backyard.

12:20 PM, September 02, 2004  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Laura,
By now you are home and have had a good nights sleep in your own bed. I loved reading your blog, but I have to say the last one has left me teary eyed. What a great outlook. Imagine if everyone in Toronto had the same outlook! I can just imagine the great times that you and Dani are going to have talking to strangers, I never listened to my parents about that one either!! Glad that you had such a fantastic trip, hope to see you real soon. Love Gail. XOXOX.

12:39 PM, September 03, 2004  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Laura I am so impressed with you and your trip - I totally understand all the excitement you are bringing back with you and I can't wait to talk to you about it! It must have been a little chilly in some of those places, was it easy to get a hold of some lawwwzenges??

John Tennis

9:04 PM, September 06, 2004  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Laura,
I was following your adventures everyday. Sorry that I didn't get a chance to post comments. While at work I'm lucky to get the computer long enough to read about your trip, nevermind having time to write to you! Welcome home! I can't wait to see you and see your scrapbook and pictures. In keeping with the new you, how about dinner at a new restaurant with Dani?
Good Luck with school!! Love, Alison

1:43 PM, September 07, 2004  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Laura!

I have been enjoying your blog. Sounds like you have had a wonderful trip.

Looking forward to dancing with you sometime in the near future.
Tim in Kingston, ON.

9:58 PM, September 07, 2004  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Iain here.. been checking in regularly. ;-)

Glad to hear about all the things you've learned along the way.

9:20 PM, September 10, 2004  

Post a Comment

<< Home