"I've always relied on the kindness of strangers..."
I can't remember what movie/book that's from...I'm thinking Gone With the Wind. No matter, it certainly rings true for me today!
Yes, you read correctly, I'm alive, I've arrived in Prague safe and sound! My flight left yesterday at around 6:30 pm Toronto time, and landed in Amsterdam around 7 am local time. I flew from Amsterdam to Prague on a flight leaving at around 9 am, and arrived (with my baggage too!!) this morning at about 10:30 am.
The trip was rather uneventful, except at the end, when I was wandering around trying to find where to go through customs, and suddenly I was outside at the bus stop! Apparently there isn't any customs here. They stamped my passport of course, but didn't ask me any questions or make me fill out a form about how many cigarettes and bottles of booze I had (unfortunately none). So, good to know for next time.
I was momentarily tempted to take one of the taxis lined up outside the airport, but no way! Totally contradictory to my new adventurous spirit! I forged on to find public transportation. After all, I had Czech Kroners in hand, knew I needed to get to "Centrum", what could the problem be?
(I should add...while the hostel I'm staying in isn't at all in the "Centrum," I didn't think I could check in so early, and thought I'd at least take a preliminary wander around downtown Prague to kill time. Plus, the directions to the hostel from my guidebook were given starting from downtown)
So I stood by the crowd of people at the "BUS" sign, and prayed it was going the right way. I asked some friendly looking people beside me if they knew where the bus went, they cheerfully said "No, we've never been here either, but we're getting on and seeing where it takes us." Seemed like a good philosophy, so I decided to join them.
On I get with my 100 Kc note, and the driver gives me a stern look. The fare is only 15 Kc, and he can't take such a large bill. (It's roughly the Canadian equivalent of trying to pay with a twenty for something that costs less than a dollar). Shoot, I'll have to go and get change and miss this bus. But no, one of the friendly guys (I found out later his name was Mike) jumped up, threw some coins at the driver and went and sat back down.
Wow, that was awfully nice. It definitely deserved a thank you, so I ended up going with Mike and Robert (from Amsterdam, with disappointingly boring names) for a beer and something to eat when we finally got downtown.
Sorry Peter, I didn't get Knedlo, Vepso a Zelo (dumplings, pork and sauerkraut). I will tomorrow. But I did get a Pivo! Good Czech beer, and for a little over a dollar Canadian each!
The Dutch guys cheerfully helped me find where my guide book directed me to catch the tram to the hostel. We exchanged addresses, (they were only staying 2 days, and I'm not sure I'll get to see them again) and they waved me on my way.
Shoot, need to buy a metro ticket. Ooh, look, ticket machines! That only take coins....grrr. Had to ask at the nearby photo devolping shop if I could get change. They were very apologetic, but had no change, but showed me a shop where I could purchase tickets directly. This is great!
Get to the tram stop, look at the sign for #21. Hmm...there is a big yellow bar crossing out the number 21. And there is big sign with lots of Czech words on it and the number 21 repeated a few times. Shoot. What do I do now? Ask a stranger! The first person I asked turned out to be an american who also didn't read Czech, but he definitely agreed that #21 was a no-go. So I decided to phone the hostel.
Saw some public phones. They looked out of order, and didn't take coins. Panic starting to grow...
I went back to my friends at the photo shop the amazingly nice guys helped me out by lending me their phone and helping me sort out my map. I got a hold of the hostel owner, who gave me proper directions.
I had to take the metro to another station (the metro in Prague is amazing!) and catch a bus. Finally got to the hostel a few hours ago, took a shower, sorted out my gear, and have had a chance to take a breather. Whew! The hostel seems really nice, and I've already met some nice people. It's almost in the country, and right on the river (duh..it's called the Boathouse for a reason).
So yes, it's been an adventure so far. But with so many friendly people around, I've just been having fun!
Mom: Sorry I didn't get to talk to you before I left. I hear Jimmy Whiffin's party the night before was a bit of a rager.
Dani: Your card to open on the plane was SUCH a nice surprise, and one of the nicest cards I've ever gotten. I was totally crying on the plane. I love you hun!
Take care everyone, and thanks for your comments!
3 Comments:
Wow, sounds like an interesting first day! I will have to check how many hours Prague is ahead of Toronto. I am glad that people are friendly, I am sure that you will be in need of that throughout your trip.
I am glad that you liked the card. I was crying on the way home knowing that you were going to be gone for a month! I miss you already! You have to post as often as possible, so I don't feel so lonely.
I hope that your first day continues to be wonderful, and I look forward to reading your next post!
Laura, you have got to try shmazny shmear (that's my phonetic version of the real Czech words for fried cheese on a bun!) and I highly recommend the Museum of Communism! Enjoy Prague, and stay away from the drunk Brits on stag parties, they are trrrrrrrrouble!
Love Jill
Miss Bedora office is not the same without you. it is wednesday and raining in the city. i am so glad you are enjoying yourself. your comments are wonderful to read. enjoy enjoy
see ya soon
amy
have a oh henry on me hahahahah
Post a Comment
<< Home