Saturday, July 31, 2004

I will have a roof over my head!

Whew, I finally managed to book a hostel for Prague, the first leg of my trip. I called a few places that were all full before getting a reservation at Hostel Boathouse. It's not centrally located, but it sounds like a really fun place. My Let's Go book gives it a *thumbs up* (which it doesn't give any other hostels in Prague) and gives this description:


"As Vera, the owner, says, "This isn't a hostel; it's a crazy house." Despite the madness, she manages to remember almost everyone's name. A young, energetic crowd and 70 beds makes this hostle the perfect fusion of nurturing home and summer camp. the Boathouse serves meals (hot breakfest or dinner 70Kc) and offers board games, internet access, satellite TV, and laundry service. Free welcome gift of postcards and a pan. Call ahead; if they're full, Vera might let you sleep in the hall. 3 to 5 bed dorms perched above a working boathouse."

So...it's not quite the downtown flophouse most of the other hostels seemed to be. I'm thinking that once I'm in Prague, I can poke around and see if I can find something a bit closer to downtown, or I can even just set out for Krakow early and add a few days in Prague at the end of my trip! Or, who knows, I may love the boathouse, and end up staying there for the whole month!

This past few days have been a bit of a whirlwind (hence no posts made). I finished up at work, where they ended off my last morning with a lovely catered lunch and a gift of a day at the Spa and and entire CASE of O'Henry bars. (They know me too well).

I did some travel shopping on Friday afternoon; picked up a travel raincoat that folds up really small, a waterbottle, and a few other odds and ends. I also managed to find an exchange place that had Czech Kroners, which was harder than I imagined. I know I can just take money out of a bank machine when I get there, but it's nice to know I have enough currency to get me through a day or two without having to panic if I can't get to an ATM.

Today is madly clean my apartment day, as well as laundry and packing list day. Tomorrow Dani is coming over to help me pack and to accompany me on my test walk around the block with my pack. What a friend, not afraid to look like a dork with me!

I admit, I'm getting a little nervous about the trip, and I'm starting to realize how much I'm going to miss everyone while I'm away. I'm hoping to cram as much quality time with Peter in as possible, and to get enough girl talk with Dani to last me a month.

The day after tomorrow I'll be on the plane!!!

2 Comments:

Blogger Dani said...

I am glad to hear that you have a place to stay. I am sure that Vera will take very good care of you.

And of course I will come and help you pack.. that is what friends are for. And I certainly won't mind looking like a "dork" with you.....I am a dork! :)

And don't even take the time to miss us when you are gone. Everything is going to go so quickly, that you can't spend your time worrying about us. You will be home before you know it, with wonderful memories that will last a lifetime. I wish I was going with you! But make sure that you take a camera and bring home the pictures!

6:11 PM, July 31, 2004  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Laura!
Thanks for letting me know that you are off to Europe
:-) My parents actually just got back from Prague 2 weeks ago, so if you have any questions or would like any suggestions I can ask them for you. They had a great time in Marienbad, which is a spa town-apparently you can drink various waters to cure your ailments. The only problem is if you don't speak Czech, you don't know which waters cure what ailments! My mom and her friend also had massages by a Czech guy.

Good luck with everything!

Yes, I am still buzzing after the engagement :-) Vu's parents just came over and met mine for the first time today! It went very well. Tomorrow we are checking some wedding places out with them (the church and the Great Hall @ Hart House-it's where lindy prom was, though I think you were sick then :-( I better get downstairs to help them tidy up now.

-Danielle

9:21 PM, July 31, 2004  

Post a Comment

<< Home