Thursday, October 05, 2006

Convents and Markets and Volcanoes, oh my!

Thanks for the kind words about my photos everyone. I've got some more to post today.

Yesterday afternoon I participated in one of the afternoon activities put on by the spanish school. We took a guided hike up to "Cerro de la Cruz," a large stone cross which overlooks Antigua and the Volcan de Agua. It was a beautiful view, and very quiet after the bustle of the city. (I'm the very tiny person in the blue shirt sitting at the bottom of the cross)



There was also a statue of someone named Santiago. My spanish still isn´t excellent, but from what I understood from the guide, he was a spanish hero of some kind in Guatemala in the 1500s who was very rich and donated the land to the City of Antigua. Sorry to be so vague. But aren't you impressed that I managed to get that much?


Statue of Santiago, "un caballero" (horseman)

I then headed off on my own to check out a gorgeous convent called "El Convento de las Capuchinas." After a day of speaking spanish and doing the hike with the school, it was such a peaceful way to spend an hour. Especially since I seemed to be the only one there.


The courtyard of the convent

Apparently the convent was very very strict and the nuns lived a very difficult life. These little archways are the doorways to their tiny cells, not really much bigger than the doorways.




Another part of the ruins of the convent

I was at the market again today with my teacher during my class, and I kept hitting my head on tarps and ropes, while everyone else there wandered around freely. Guatemalans are tiny. I think I was the tallest person in the entire Guatemala City airport when I arrived, no exaggeration. It seems most people, men and women, are around 5 feet tall.


Market day in Antigua. An open part of the market, where it was a relief not to have to duck!

I have had the chance to reflect on the people here other than their size; they are truly some of the friendliest people I've ever encountered. It is common practice to greet everyone in the street with an "Hola," an "adios," or a "¿como esta?." At first this was a little unnerving, since I wasn't sure why all these strangers would be talking to me, but i'm getting used to it. And everyone is always smiling here! It's just wonderful.

I'm going to be lazy this afternoon, head to a cafe for some amazing Guatemalan coffee. That stuff you get at Starbucks? They grow it 10 minutes from here, and they probably picked it last week and roasted it this morning. I bought some postcards at the market (I even bargained in spanish!), so I'll write some of those. Also on the agenda for today is planning a trip to the Volcan Pacaya, one of the most active volcanoes in the world. I want to do that tomorrow after class. I'm a little nervous, considering it involves a 3 hour hike straight up a volcano and I'm not in the best shape of my life, but hopefully i won't embarrass myself too much. Oh, and my secondary worry is that I'll fall into the molten lava.

Adios mis amigos! Keep those comments and emails coming (Spike, Mom, Dad, Chris, where are you?). I miss you all! xoxox

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yo Baby, you are having more fun and learning more than most people can hope for in a lifetime. I miss you, love you tons and cannot wait to see you.

PS Would I be taller than the good folks in Guatemala (this computer has no question mark).

4:54 PM, October 05, 2006  
Blogger Dani said...

What is it with us and the short men?? :)

I can't wait to hear all your spanish when you get home. Nothing exciting is happening here at all, so you are definitely not missing anything! We are going to have frost tonight, which is about the most interesting news story. Sad, I know.

Miss you lots hun!

9:14 PM, October 05, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love that courtyard at the convent, what are those gorgeous flowers? I could really go for about 8 hours of sitting there just breathing! I bet your Spanish is coming along great, you are soooo talented! Love living vicariously through you hehe.

10:54 PM, October 05, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I need to go there... at 5'4" I might be considered tall for once in my life! haha! I'm impressed that your spanish has come along so far in such a short time. I would have been lost on that tour!

9:58 AM, October 06, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dani,

What do you mean by "What is it with us and the short men?? :)?" Is Laura hanging out with a short man that I don't know about? Laura, are you?

I miss you Darling.

Be cool.
Marcel

3:49 PM, October 10, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home