You'd Better Belize It
A good part of the enjoyment I get from traveling is getting pumped about it ahead of time with lots of reading, fact-finding, and planning. So bear with me, here's some of the cool stuff I've found about Belize.
For all of your cringing about the title of this post, I must defend my punning honour. "You'd Better Belize It" is in fact their national slogan. Makes me even MORE excited to go there!
Belize is a teeny tiny country
on the east coast of Central America, right on the Caribbean, and it's the only English speaking country in Central America.It will be a bit more expensive than Guatemala (still very inexpensive by our standards from what I've heard) and probably a lot less adventurous (when you start speaking English everything gets easier) but I think it will be a good place to end my trip.
Particularly since it is home to the longest barrier reef in the Western Hemisphere, 2nd longest in the world after Australia's Great Barrier Reef.
A cool feature of the reef is this lovely looking circle of blue water, imaginatively called the Blue Hole, a circular underwater depression more than 300 feet across and 400 feet deep.Scuba diving is the main attraction of the coast of Belize, so I may have to try it out while I'm down there. I've never dived before, and I'm not 100% sure that it's for me, but all my diving friends (Dani for one) insist that I can't go all the way there and not try it. I might just have to see how the finances are once I'm there. At the very least there is some amazing snorkeling to be had, and hopefully lots of sun and culture too.
2 Comments:
You definitely have to try it. You don't have to go very deep to enjoy it, and once you have taken a few breaths you will love it!
I am soooo jealous that you are going on such a great trip. PLEASE take me with you?
Post a Comment
<< Home