Friday, August 06, 2004

See you in the fields

Let me just preface this post by apologizing if I sound a little spaced out. I was out until after sunrise this morning, and I'm feeling a little out of it.

So it appears my blog has been hijacked by my dear old brother. Chris, glad to hear you're having such a good time in Scotland, I was sitting in an internet cafe reading your post, just cackling away and getting some funny looks. And yes, feel free to use the comments section to let us all know about your goings on, I'm sure my friends were as entertained as I was.

Yesterday ended up being an extremely chilled-out day, where I did absolutely nothing whatsoever. Did a (very) little bit of wandering around, and went back to the awesome tea place for a couple of hours, where Scott educated me on Kangeroo shooting and butchering. He's an Aussie allright!

Then, before I knew it, it was time to start partying again! We were going to meet some friends from the hostel at Chateau, the bar we were at the night before, and decided to get something to eat on the way. Little travel tip: restaurants in Prague stop serving food after 10 pm. We were looking for a place for dinner about 10:01, and were not having ANY luck.

We wandered around for ages, and ended up running into Peter, the New Zealander we met at the Boathouse Hostel. So he joined us in our search, and we ended having to eat at a really expensive restaurant on the patio right on the Old Town Square. Very cool place to eat, good for people watching, but really really steep prices. Like $30 for dinner and two beers. Just exhorbitant, I know! Most places would be like a third of that.

Then it was off to Chateau, where we ran into Santiago the Bolivian again, as well as a few of the other friends we met there the night before. Quick drink there, and then Santiago had some VIP passes for a club was supposed to be pretty good. The club was fun, but drinks were like a whole $4. Very expensive for drinks in Prague.

We then went to another really cool bar (apparently Elijah Wood was there a couple nights earlier) and had some more drinks. I kept kinda waiting for them to say it was last call, and then I looked at my watch and realized it was like 5:30 am. Apparently it's NEVER last call in Prague.

People were starting to leave the bar, and it was funny, when everyone was leaving, each of them would say "See you in the fields." At first I think I just thought they were trying to be deep or something, kinda like "see you in heaven" maybe. Finally I asked someone what the heck they were talking about, and they revealed that "the fields" was some huge party going on the next night, apparently in a field (duh).

The American guy who was telling me about it said to me "But, if you end up going, just make sure you watch yourself," and he kind of gave me a knowing look. I asked him what he meant, and he said "well, there will be a lot of Czechs there, you have to watch your shit, you know?"

Like Czech people are all super shady and ready to steal from you. I was pretty offended by that, and figured that if he had such a problem with Czech people, he shouldn't travel to the Czech Republic. Generally the travellers I've met have been very open-minded and intelligent type people, but still that sort of ignorance creeps through.

We met some nice Americans that were studying in town, and staying at a university residence really near the bar, so we went back there for a glass of wine on the roof, watching the sun come up. Then we had to make it back to the hostel, which was a bit of a trek, and it was scary that the early risers were already up and about.

So I slept for a few hours, and then got up to wander around by myself and do some sightseeing. I called Teresa, a Canadian girl living in Prague that my friend Jill said was super cool (she is). She actually stayed with her when she was in Prague recently. She lives right near where I was, so she met me for a coffee and spent a few hours touring around with me. I'm going to meet her and her friend tonight and go to a Jazz club.

I had no idea that there was such a great jazz scene in Prague. I can't believe there are no lindyhoppers here, because I've heard some really swinging music coming from the jazz clubs. Makes me wish for a partner! I'm really looking forward to checking that out tonight.

I think I'll head back now to the hostel and have a nap. I'm feeling a little wiped out. This post has taken me absolutely forever to write, it's pretty sad. I think I'll take it a little easier tonight.

See you in the fields!

1 Comments:

Blogger Dani said...

Hmmm, something makes me think that you will never take it easy. And you shouldn't! You are in Prague, party it up! You can relax when you come home. ;)

Don't nap too long this afternoon, you wouldn't want to miss the fields.

Only news here is that this old bat rear ended the Mini with her Mercedes in the library parking lot last night. Now of course she is trying to deny that she hit us, even though TJ was in the (not running) car when she did it, and there is an imprint of her license plate cover in the chrome. I got an estimate over the phone of $200 from Mini (which I thought was pretty darn cheap - If I hit someone and that was all it was going to cost, I would be happy!) but she wants them to see the car in person. She thinks that they are going to be able to buff out the chrome. Sorry hunny, you can't "buff" chrome. Anyhoo, we will get it sorted out I am sure. Even if I have to take her to court. Grr. You don't hit our baby and get away with it.

Sorry to rant on your blog, but I needed to vent. You feel my pain I am sure.

I hope you are still taking lots of pictures. I want to have a full audio and visual description when you get back!

9:13 AM, August 06, 2004  

Post a Comment

<< Home