in the honeymoon suite
Dryden is the best. Now, pick your jaws up off the floor. I know you all thought I'd be frozen solid and bored to tears, but the people in this town are amazing!
James (a family medicine resident who just moved into the house), Amanda and I went out for dinner tonight to the town's fanciest restaurant and Inn, the Riverview Lodge. James is vegetarian, and asked if one of the dishes had meat in it.
"Why, are you allergic?" asked the waiter incredulously.
But the waiter was an extremely friendly person, most interested in who we were, where we had come from, and what on earth we were doing in Dryden. He immediately invited us to join his curling tournament at the end of the month (we told him we were already signed up for one in the middle of the month, so we'd be pros by then) and then eagerly asked if we wanted to know some of the history of the Lodge. He even pulled down a painting of the original building (built in 1910 by the manager of the paper mill) off the wall to show us.
That wasn't all though. He then took us through a tour of the entire Inn, showing us some of the rooms, including the honeymoon suite. He was a very chatty fellow, and I don't think he wanted us to leave! He was so happy that we were (ahem) thinking of practicing in Dryden that he declared dessert on the house!
Last night we decided to take a trip to the liquor store, and were dismayed to find that it closed at 6 pm. Instead, we went to the local Safeway and bought stuff to make Shirley Temples. Tonight, James and Amanda went to pick up materials to make Jello shooters (in honour of Amanda's birthday) and the clerk asked "so, how were the Shirley Temples last night?" We're getting notorious! The Simple Life, I'm telling you!
Thank you Carol and Curliegirl for your explanations about pellet furnaces and chimney cleaning. Very enlightening. Here's another one for you: I asked a patient what activities had recently aggravated his fractured wrist. His answer? "Well, it hurts after I arm wrestle with my wife."
So romantic.
Knitting news? Almost up to the last increase row on the Pi are Squared shawl. I still haven't hit that "need to start something new" moment. It may occur right about the time I start knitting the lace border. Right now I'm staring longingly at the fleece artist merino. It looks SOOO nice to knit with. Definitely this weekend.
<< Home