miss bedora lives The Simple Life
This Saturday I leave my beloved Toronto for the city of Dryden, Ontario. I'll be there for 6 weeks, for a physiotherapy placement. Where is Dryden, you ask? I've taken the liberty of shamelessly stealing a photo from the Dryden website.

Far eh?
The reason I'm going? It's part of a program called the Northern Studies Stream. It's an initiative by the government to encourage health care practitioners (doctors, nurses, physiotherapists, occupational therapists, speech therapists etc) to consider relocating to the more remote areas of the country. And boy, is it remote! 1750 km away from Toronto. That's 1087 miles for you Americans. It is closer to go from Toronto to Florida than it is to go from Toronto to Dryden.
It's an excellent program though. The goverment pays for students to fly to a number of cities in Northwestern Ontario, and sets us up with apartments and everything. It certainly sounded like a great idea when I signed up for it in the fall. Please, remind me of what a great idea it is. Ok? Please?
Plans for the trip were chugging right along when I saw an ominous little note attached to my plane ticket.
Luggage allowance is 40 pounds with Bearskin Airlines
This is a problem. I pulled out the gigantic suitcase I was planning on taking with me, and weighed it. 10 lbs. Empty. In short, I'm screwed. Or at least in need of some drastic changes to the list of stuff I was planning on taking.
So what did I do? Well, after the heart palpitations slowed down slightly, I sent Dani, my rock, my most cherished one, a frantic MSN message. Do you know what she said? Don't worry, we'll sort it out. This is why Dani is the best friend a girl could ever ask for. Second reason she's the best? The next thing she wrote was was "I can always ship you the yarn!"
Speaking of yarn, I was thrilled to the core to see a comment yesterday from what appears to be a knitter in Dryden! I'm not sure who this person is though. If you're reading, please do send me an email. I would love to meet you while I'm up there!
2 Comments:
Well, I was going to suggest that I could ship you your clothes (priorities priorites) but I reconsidered. :)
Okay, ignore my last e-mail.
My jaw dropped when I saw where Dryden is located, my dear. You're going THERE...NOW. In winter. Forgive this, but OMG! That's a long way away. No wonder Dani doesn't want to let you go!
As for your luggage dilemma, take medical books and yarn. Have Dani ship your clothes. Wear scrubs and a lab coat. You'll look very professional with a slight knitting obsession!
And yeah for the knitter in Dryden. You've got a friend there already!
Post a Comment
<< Home