Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Calm cool and collected

Guess what I bought?


Yes, the one item I have been wishing for since I moved into my apartment 18 months ago. I finally got around to walking the block away from my subway stop to spend the $24.99 at Canadian Tire. And now I am no longer that pathetic girl in the middle of summer in Toronto with neither air conditioning nor a fan.

Also, I bought some paint. I bought my futon a year ago "unfinished" with the intent of painting it blue. This futon was bought 6 months after I moved in and realized the couch I bought originally didn't fit. So, after 6 months with no couch whatsoever, and 12 months with a futon that looks like crap, I will finally be able to rid myself of the shame that is unfinished pine.

I know. What on earth has come over me? Well, it's quite possible that the burst of inspiration has come from the most inspirational meal of my life.

On Friday my friend Steve took me out for dinner to Susur a.k.a. Heaven on Earth. We (well, technically he) splurged on the 7 course tasting menu for each of us, with each course paired with a different wine. The entire meal was completely amazing, but the best part was at the end.

The waiter brought out a big plate with about 5 different desserts for Steve. And then he brought out one of those big pedestal towers with the 3 plates stacked on top of each other, all covered with desserts. I prepared myself for the difficulty of having to choose one out of the 10 or so scrumptious looking desserts. And then they put the tower in front of me and left it.

The entire thing was for me! Fortunately, um sorry, I mean unfortunately, Steve is allergic to nuts, and almost everything on the tower had nuts in it. So no sharing possible. Darn. *evil laugh* I ate every crumb. And that was after 6 previous courses. It's a miracle I don't weight 200 pounds. Thanks for the genes Mom and Dad!

The rest of the long weekend was also amazing, complete with my friend Kiran's birthday party, a trip to Hamilton to see some classmates for a BBQ, and a day at the beach with my good friends Shona and Jenny and their respective partners.

My darling friend Shona has been secretly lurking on my site (she let it slip that she knew about the Dawn and Drew Show) and I promised her a shout out. Hopefully this will guilt her into leaving a comment. Love ya girlie, it was great to see you this weekend!

So, an amazing long weekend, and this week I only have to work 2 days. Who KNOWS what will get accomplished?! Painting, rope buying (I'll leave you to wonder about that one) and maybe even some (hopefully Perv-free) suntanning!

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

How good was your Friday night! I was drooling over the 7 course meal, each paired withdifferent wine, but then a TOWER of dessert. You've got to love that!

And nice fan, by the way...it's supposed to be a hot August too, so I'm sure you'll be putting it to good use.

Have fun being cool and painting!

8:00 AM, August 03, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah... I'm lurking again... not so secretly anymore! Great to see you this weekend!
Enjoy that fan... and talk to you soon!
-s.

9:18 PM, August 04, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Laura! What's up? I'm waiting for a Blog update from you! Perhaps you haven't posted one because of the above few commenters?

I coincidentally bumped into a girl from high school today is working as a physiotherapist and she loves it!!

Anyhow, I hope you are doing well and that we get a chance to catch up soon! You should come by our apartment some time :-)

-Danielle (Vuong)

5:22 PM, October 11, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oops, my grammar was really bad there...I meant and she is working as a physiotherapist and loves it. Where do I get these things from sometimes? Oh, if you're free tonight: Reservoir Lounge 9:30. I'll be there!

5:23 PM, October 11, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home