Friday, March 11, 2005

Those damn paparazzi!

Well, it's happened. The reporters finally tracked me down, and I'm in the town's weekly paper, the Dryden Observer. Page 10. Caption reading:

Visiting physiotherapy student Laura Stewart tries her hand at snowboarding


The funny part? The picture, taken on Saturday, looks like a semi-exciting action shot of me on the slopes. In reality, I was standing still on the snowboard at the bottom of the hill. How do I know? Because if it was me actually moving, I would be looking wildly out of control, and odds are, I would be flat on my butt. As an added bonus, the entire population of the town apparently reads the paper cover to cover, because every one of my patients today mentioned it!

Thank you to my friend Danielle for her take on "The Bills" in last entry's comments. Turns out, the concert was really entertaining. The band consisted of a fiddle, accordion, mandolin, guitar and upright base. (Rereading, maybe I should mention that the band also consistend of 5 guys PLAYING those instruments.) They played a really fun mix of folk/bluegrass music. Angie, the manager of the physiotherapy department, gave us her tickets, and it turns out she's the chair of the Dryden Entertainment Committee, so we got great seats. I kind of felt like I was at a school play, because Angie came out before the concert to give announcements, draw for a door prize, and introduce the band. And there was free cookies and juice at intermission!

Tomorrow I am participating in my first curling tournament. Yes, you heard me right. Me. Curling. And I'm NOT talking about my hair. Stay tuned for the full report on the havoc wreaked on my body by trying to gracefully glide across the ice carrying a really heavy rock.

Knitting news? The body of my Pi are Squared shawl is completed. I didn't cast off the edge, I am keeping the stitches live so I can knit on a lace border. Clapotis is also coming along nicely, although I'm not thrilled with the way the edge looks. Kinda jaggedy.

Workout news? 7 workouts for the month of March!