Saturday, October 14, 2006

Leave San Pedro? Nah...

Another day in paradise...still in San Pedro, with my plans to stay here getting extended daily. I'm still waiting to discuss things with Marcel (who gets here Wednesday, yay!) but I'm considering changing my itinerary around a bit to include scuba diving in Honduras. I'll figure it out with Marcel and keep you posted!

Yesterday was another great day. A group of 5 British guys at the hostel next door were renting a boat to fish, swim, and see some of the surrounding villages on the lake. They invited Angelica, the zany Canadian journalist, and I to join them. Which of course we couldn't resist!


The view leaving San Pedro

We did some swimming, the boys did some fishing, and brave Hal from Scotland attempted to do some fishing with a harpoon. Fortunately, he didn't see any fish, because he admitted later that he was too scared to actually shoot the harpoon.


The gang on the boat

Then we stopped at San Marcos, a town across the lake that is famous for its meditation centre and loads of massage and other therapeutic services. We stopped just long enough to look around, grab a cold pop, and have a quick game of football with some of the local kids. It was pretty funny, since it was 5 british guys in their 20s against 4 Guatemalan schoolboys, and the Guatemalans won by a landslide.



Today I did my usual lazy breakfast at my favourite spot overlooking the lake, and I have my final weaving lesson with Olympia starting in about an hour. I've got a looooong way to go, so I hope I get a little speedier today. Maybe today it will occur to me what this strip of cloth actually IS...much too narrow for a table runner, but thanks for the suggestion Dani!

6 Comments:

Blogger Dani said...

*Sigh* It looks so relaxing! And warm....Buffalo and Niagara got 2 feet of snow on Friday. Yup. 2 feet.

So now table runner eh? How about a sash for a cool hand knitted bag?

MIss you!

2:43 PM, October 14, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Baby, staying cool and relaxed is an awesome way to travel. Did you say diving? Honduras sounds great.

Be cool.
Marcel

6:06 PM, October 14, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about a sash type belt? Hope you're soaking up all the heat you can, you're gonna need it!!

11:04 PM, October 14, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As always it sounds like so much fun. Just be careful not to leave a sunscreen handprint on your leg... ha!
Can't wait to see your weaving creation, whatever you decide it to be.
Take it easy!
-s.

5:06 PM, October 15, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Laura,
Love to read about your adventures. Glad to hear you're staying safe and sound. What a gorgeous spot. Take care of yourself and ENJOY!!!

Love Dad and Tammy

10:38 PM, October 15, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is awesome that the Guatemalan youngsters beat the British guys! Were they embarrassed? I guess they were at a disadvantage since they're not used to playing in barefeet ;-)
-Danielle

10:21 PM, October 17, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home