Arrived in Honduras
Just arrived in Copan, Honduras, just over the border from Guatemala.

It was a long trip involving a boatride across Lake Atitlan to Panajachel and a bus to Antigua yesterday. Then, the best part was the shuttle to Copan that left Antigua today at 4 am. Only problem was, my alarm seems to have become possessed by a poltergeist. Signe (Danish girl who I travelled to Copan with along with Angelica) and I slept in and woke up at 4:15 to the sound of a distant doorbell...the bus driver ringing for us to get the heck out there! Needless to say 5 minutes of screaming bedlam ensued, but we made it out to the shuttle just in the nick of time. Most amazingly, all of our belongings were with us.
A long hot dusty bus ride later, and here I am, in a country where I didn't at all plan to be. I'm still feeling a little residual sadness at leaving San Pedro; I was feeling pretty at home there. Yannis, my first hippie friend from Day 1 in San Pedro, caught me just as I was leaving and tried to convince me to stay for the "magic fire" happening that night to celebrate some lunar solar chakra thing, but I resisted. Honduras was calling!
Unfortunately I just got an email from Marcel saying his flight was late, and won't be arriving in Guatemala City until this evening, or even possibly tomorrow. I hope he can make it to Copan tomorrow! Poor guy.
Today I'm going to check out a few of the museums here in Copan, a pretty but teeny little town that doesn't have much here except some of Central America's best Mayan ruins. Angelica and Signe just headed to the ruins without me, since I'm waiting to see them with Marcel. Other than that, just trying to stay cool, as it's scorching hot at the moment. WAY hotter than Guatemala.
Coming soon: have to decide which of the Honduran Bay Islands to go to, Roatan or Utila. Those in the know, your advice is needed!
Record breaking number of comments last post, helped by Danielle having to make 2, but still, thanks guys! Danielle, glad you figured out how to get the current updates. Great to hear from you Chris (glad you liked the statue boobies- knew you would!) and Mom (why such trouble leaving posts? I might suggest copying and pasting the comments from Word so that if there is a problem while submitting you don't lose them).
3 Comments:
Hey lady! Just sent you a big long email. I am glad to hear that you got there safe and sound, and I am sorry that Marcel got tied up! Having flights delayed is the worst.
I am looking forward to hearing about the ruins and the diving. I am gett jealous here at home!
Utila is sort of the backpackers island. It has many, MANY dive shops to choose from, and pretty good nightlife (for a little island). It's cheaper than Roatan, but it has the disadvantage of not really having a good beach. Apparently Roatan has decent beaching. If you don't care about the beach (or don't mind taking a boat to one), Utila is pretty damn cool. (I'm biased...)
Shop around when you're picking a dive shop- although the prices are pretty similar everywhere, the bigger shops often have bigger class sizes and are way more impersonal. Some dive shops include accomodation as added incentive.
If you head out to the bars that overhang the water, think twice about going for a drunk late-night swim- the bar toilet goes straight into the water right next to you!
Ask around for the 'hole in the wall' store that sells the world's best banana bread.
Have fun! I'm jealous and reminiscing!
I'm glad I was able to help with the record breaking number of comments!
More importantly, I'm glad I figured out how to get your recent entries! Thanks for the mention. I feel special:-)
I wish I could be right there with you!
-Danielle
Post a Comment
<< Home